Project Title: Enabling people Towards Sustainable Safe water and Hygiene Phase-II.
The WASH situation in Bangladesh still struggling to achieve a standard across the country also, the situation in some pockets needs extra attention in this regard. The situations in the peri-urban areas vary from community to community due to some complications like land use and management, rapid industrialization etc. This needs awareness raising to create demand for improvement of the situation with affordable technology and financial support. The project aims to address the situation by providing the needed support to the communities in line with interventions and strategies that are blended in CLTS approach. Through this approach and adding credit support component people’s need will be fulfilled and the access of safe water and improve sanitation facilities will be ensured. All sorts of coordinatination with local government bodies and line department of government will be ensured so that a sustainable improvement can be achieved .VERC will make use of the expertise to bring an optimum outcome through the project.
Goal of the project:
A sustainable development of health condition in terms of improved access to water, sanitation and hygiene practice for underserved people living in rural and peri-urban locations of the selected project areas.
- Increase awareness on hygiene practice and promote personal hygiene habits at community level leading to demand creation for safe water facilities and hygienic latrine installation, use and maintenance.
- Assist in establishing linkage with microfinance support entities for assistance.
At a glance project information:
- Project Period: Oct-2018 to March-2021
- Supported by:Water.org
- District covered:18
- Total Loan disbursement:32000
- Total Beneficiaries:144,000
- Water loan disbursement:12800
- Saniation loan disbursement: 19200
- Water loan disbursement : 4843
- Sanitation loan disbursement : 12030
- Total Benificaries covered:984286
The project will follow the people’s participatory process so that from situation analysis to monitoring and evaluation of the project will involve the people of the target area. Besides, Market demand assessment will be done to ensure proper supply of water and sanitation hardware. Hygiene awareness session, Capacity development training, developing product design will be continued. Establish linkage with LGI, GOB and other relevant stakeholders will be made for better out come. In addition, capacitate community catalysts to retain the motivational activities.
WASH team members:
All team members will be working under the guidance of Director Watsan. The project staff positions are: 1) Project Manager 2) Project Engineer 3) Project Accountant 4) Senior Supervisor Monitoring 5) Hygiene Promoter.
Key activities of the project:
- Community situation analysis
- Market demand assessment
- Product design
- Beneficiaries awareness building session
- Health and Hygiene awareness session
- Staff training
- Beneficiaries training
- Technical assistance offered for installation of water facilities
- Technical assistance offered for installation of sanitation facilities
- Water quality test
- Collaboration with GOB and others stake holders
- Community cross visit for learning and promotion
- IEC/BCC materials development
- Different day observation
Project activities target from April-2015 to September-2018
- Water facilities installation:2100
- Sanitation facilities installation:2300
- WASH capacity training for 4400 beneficiaries
- Hygiene awareness beneficiaries:17210
- Total water and beneficiaries:19800
Progress up to September-2018
- Water facilities installation:2258
- Sanitation facilities installation:2230
- WASH capacity training for 4398 beneficiaries
- Hygiene awareness beneficiaries:17208
Product List with estimated cost:
|Sl#||Types of product||Estimated cost|
|01||CI sheet with mud floor(Pit latrine)||10,000.00|
|02||CI sheet latrine with brick platform(offset pit latrine)||12,000.00|
|03||Brick wall , RCC roof slab(Offset pit Latrine)||28,000.00|
|04||Septic tank with latrine||80,000.00|
|05||Attached bath with latrine||70,000.00|
|07||Two chamber latrine with brickwall & CI sheet roof||40,000.00|
|Sl#||Types of product||Estimated cost|
|01||Shallow tube well (Depth: 150’)||15,000.00|
|02||Deep set tube well( Depth:260’)||30,000.00|
|03||Submersible pump (Depth: 280’)||75,000.00|
Case study : Fulfilled a cherished desire of Marium:
Name of Borrower: Most.Mariom Begum Wife of: Md. Habibur Rahman Age:52 years Occupation: House wife Date of interview: 10/06/2019 Location: Village:Omargonj, Uapzila: Nangolkot, District: Comiila, Branch ID:28,Member ID :2364,Site ID: 054 Mariom Begum is a member of Kamini Mohila Samity. Her family consists of 06 members. She has 03 daughters and 01 child. Out of them 02 daughter got married. Her husband is an Auto Rikshaw driver. They have sufficient cultivable land. Her husband income was not enough to maintain daily life with full care. So most of the time they are bound to pass day with hardship due to economical problem. It was very difficult for her to build a hygienic latrine. Her dream has afflicted with the poverty.Her daughter and other members always feel discomfort to live in unhealthy situation but she had no way to remedy. Being informed by the VERC program person she decided to avail the opportunity of financial support and takes 10000.00 taka loan for installing low cost hygienic latrine. At present her surrounding environmental conditions is good. And now bad smell cannot destroy the natural conditions. Mariom Begum said her aspiration has become fruitful by the grace of Allah . She and her husband revealed that without financial support of VERC it was not possible for them to be an owner of hygienic latrine. Mariom Begum expects to see the good work of VERC and expects others organization will be resuscitated to discharge their jobs for the benevolent of people.